Tuesday, August 9, 2011

How will I 'be' this Thursday?  I haven't seen L in over two weeks, between my vacation and hers, and our next appointment is this Thursday morning, and I don't know how I feel about it.

Should I be happy?  Thankful?  If so, then why do I feel angry?

Of course I get 'logically' that she can, and needs to go on vacation. And I don't think I begrudge her that, but that seems to be the most obvious reason for me being angry. So maybe that's not it.

I know I hate the pangs of attachment.  Maybe I blame her for it?

There's also something to be said for not being in therapy.  The angst and the transference can really suck the life out of me.  So then I toy with the idea of not going on Thursday at all.  I wonder could I hold out another week? 

But I also know myself too well.  As soon as I sent her a text cancelling this week's appointment I'd regret it.  Like when I go to a session and refuse to talk (yes, just like a 2 year old), as soon as I step out the door I hate myself and regret my actions.

I think it basically boils down to that I'm fucked. 

4 comments:

  1. You know, it is strange the whole therapist/client relationship.

    I really need to go back to therapy but am worried he may think I have failed him somehow because I need to go back. Which is really, really stupid because he is there to help me work out how to not think like I fail everyone all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Therapists shouldn't be allowed to go on vacation. It's always so hard to get that connection back after a break.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This damn therapy-thing really is strange Linda. There's nothing to compare it to, and most of it doesn't make sense.

    As for vacation, I guess if they do go on vacation there's a few rules they need to follow:
    - It can NEVER be more than a week at a time
    - It can NEVER happen more than 2 times a year
    - They allow, in fact encourage contact (email/text) during their vacation
    - And when you do meet again after vacation they must greet you with a warm smile and a big bear hug! And say things like "It's so good to see you, I've missed our sessions, I've been thinking about you while I was gone"

    I'm sure we can think of a few more rules...

    ReplyDelete