Thursday, October 27, 2011

Why does therapy still have to be all about the relationship with me? 

On one hand, having devoured countless books and articles about therapy I know that a big predictor of the success in therapy has to do with the relationship, I get that I really do.  But what I'm having trouble understanding is why I constantly need to talk about it with her.  Why do I analyze (obsess) and deconstruct every little thing?  Why do I keep questioning it?  Why do I not believe the 'realness' of it?  And why can't I just settle on a way to feel?

Also, why does it seem to crush me when I'm thrown by it?  Why do I have trouble functioning in the real world when things like this happen? Why can't I compartmentalize it like I can do with other things in my life?  Why does it seem to take over my whole being?

Why the need for therapy for therapy?

2 comments:

  1. Sometimes you just have to take a deep breath and say "it is what it is". It's great to examine things, but it's also great to take a break and enjoy life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear ya Mildred and I agree with you, but for some reason I can't seem to get myself there. Actually, sometimes I can get myself there, I just can't seem to maintain it too long.

    ReplyDelete